Woke early this morning to joyous quiet which lasted all of twenty-eight minutes before jack hammers started up outside my bedroom window.
Yes indeedy. Jack hammers. I went outside in pj’s for visual verification purposes.
Jack hammering lasted until 2:32 at which time Loud Blowing Noises Made With Unknown Tool Thingies began. LBN’s lasted until five minutes ago.
Much hand waving and lip reading combined with trots back and forth to the front door yielded the following information:
- A major gas line in the neighborhood is leaking
- This is not a problem and there is no need to panic
- The leak is bigger than we thought initially and many more holes must be jack hammered into the concrete right-this-minute
- No problem, no need for concern
- Just for funsies we’re turning off your gas. Not because there is a problem or anything.
- The other guys were suppose to fix this yesterday.
- We are calling in bigger trucks and more equipment so this might take a teensie bit longer than first mentioned
- Everything is under control
- The gas company now needs to inspect the premises. Just for grins as there isn’t any real problem
- Have you been burning that candle all day? No reason for asking as there is no danger to you or any other citizen within a three block radius
On another note, the tiny bathroom is currently full of plumber. Nothing inside said bathroom works. Not the sink, nor the potty, nor the awesome tub which is my nightly quiet place. The sound of Great Progress goes forth and we are hopeful for a successful outcome.
Mr. Plumber is very nice and keeps telling me how the Lord has blessed him, including a recent successful back surgery which has given him his livelihood back. I like Mr. Plumber very much.
No painting, no music, no napping. Only jackhammers, job site foreman on the porch and plumbers who love Jesus. Not a bad day overall.
Did I mention we only have one bathroom?
There is no need to panic.